Contact Vince

See http://vinceprep.com for information about Vince's services.

I provide the most intensive, effective MBA interview preparation service in the world. My interview coaching clients get results because I help them figure out what to say (logical content), and how to say it (impressive delivery).

LOGICAL CONTENT
I teach some of the world's top engineers and scientists at The University of Tokyo how to present their ideas on paper and in person.

IMPRESSIVE DELIVERY
I am a professional stage actor who has performed with The American Shakespeare Center.
At Stanford, I studied improv theatre with Patricia Ryan Madson, who has taught everyone from college students to Silicon Valley executives from companies like Google how to tell believable stories.

I provide one-hour mock interview sessions with feedback. I also provide extended multi-hour training. We begin with an initial diagnostic mock interview, which helps me determine your strengths and weaknesses. In subsequent sessions, we can work on strategy, answer modeling, and mock interviewing.

For Vince's latest tips, plus service details, please go here. Then, please contact Vince when you are ready to start your preparation.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Nerves

A client just asked me how to stay calm in the interview. 

Here are two tricks I learned from Patricia Ryan Madson, my improv coach at Stanford. 
  1. Breathe - sounds obvious, but the breath controls our "fight or flight" instincts. Slow down, take a few deep breaths (without "sighing"), and look at your interviewer.
  2. Notice the mundane. Look around the room. Take note of everything you see. Day One of Patricia's improv class, we ran around the room pointing at objects and naming them. "Clock!" "Carpet!" "Chair!" "Student!" After a minute of this catharsis, we paused and observed the effect. The room had come to life. Suddenly, we noticed the brown drapes, the open door, the pile of shoes and backpacks in the corner. I have never found a better way to get "in the moment." Of course, you cannot run around screaming and pointing at objects during your interview, but you can use your inner voice to notice and comment on reality. "The interviewer is wearing a blue tie." "He is holding a black stick pen and staring at me." "Oh, my hands are shaking." No matter what you observe, just keep your awareness by saying, "Isn't that interesting." This "moment of zen" should help you stop monologuing so you can enjoy the conversation.


 

-Updated by Vince on 14 March 2012

 

  • I am a graduate admissions consultant who works with clients worldwide

  • If you want my help preparing for your interview, please email interviews@vinceprep.com

  • Let me know when you plan to interview and when you want to practice with me

  • I will confirm if I have the capacity to help you

  • My interview service details and fees are here

  • Please note that initial consultations are not offered for interview training